Monday, November 17, 2008

Mr. B's - A Bartolotta Steakhouse


A couple of weeks ago Tim and I went to Mr B's for our 30th anniversary. Mr. B's is famous for their flavorful steaks that are prepared in a 1100 degree wood burning oven. This restaurant is rated on of the top 30 restaurants in the Milwaukee area by the food critic at the Milwaukee Journal. Mr B's is one of 4 restaurants owned my Joe Bartolotta and all four restaurants are in the top 30 group. Pretty impressive for one owner.

Eight months ago we changed our diet to more plant based for health reasons so we were looking forward to a great steak.

Atmosphere and service were great, unfortunately we were extremely disappointed in the steak. Not only did the plate look unappetizing (a blob of potatoes with a hunk of steak) but the steaks were tasteless. Tim and I ended up eating less than half of our steaks before we left.

I was just going to write it off as a bad experience maybe due to not having red meat in awhile..... After talking to a number of people who have raved about the place I decided to send a note to the owner.

Last week Joe Bartolotta called me personally. He didn't have a manager call, he called. I was impressed. He wanted to know the details of our experience. After talking for around 20 minutes he told me he was sending me a gift. What was impressive was that he must have gone to the records of the restaurant for the day we were there. I didn't give him a telephone number in my email and he called me on Tim's phone. Tim had made the reservations.....

Last week I received a very nice letter from Joe once again apologizing for our bad steaks. He sent me gift certificate for 50.00 so that I would try his restaurant again. I don't think we will try his steak place again but we will try another one.

There is a reason that Bartolotta restaurants are the best in Milwaukee not only is the service and food great but the owner personally handles all inquiries about his restaurant.

Just a note for anyone not familiar with Bartolotta restaurants, the 50.00 gift certificate only covered a third of our bill that night.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Hey there, I know I mentioned it on your recipe blog-but the Union House has delicious "melt in your mouth" steaks. Oh so good :)
Plus.....same price range as Bartolatas. :) That is SO disappointing when you want a good meal and it doesn't live up to expectation! Good Luck Next time!