Sunday, September 21, 2008

Al's Run

It's been years since Tim and I have done this race. When it first started it was an annual run for Tim and his buddies at Falk. Kristin and Kelly were there in their stollers and when they got a little older they participated with me in the walk. When we move to Illinois the tradition stopped.

Almost 20 years later Tim and I decided to try it again. This is a big fundraiser for Children's Hospital and you will see many children participating or being pushed in special wheelchairs or strollers.

The start of the race is incredible to be part of. There are waves of people running down Wisconsin Ave. Tim was near the front of the pack and I was closer to the end for the start.

Once the horn went off the race was on. It took me almost 2 minutes before I crossed the start line. Thankfully I had a running chip in my shoe which would give an accurate time when I finished. After runnng down Wisconsin Ave we turned onto Prospect past the big homes and then down a nice hill to the lakefront. It was a beautiful warm day and Lake Michigan was a great site to see while running.

I just started running in March. SInce this was my first race my goal was to try to do 5 miles in under one hour. Which I wasn't sure would be attainable with all the weaving in an out between strollers and walkers. I crossed the finish line at 56.01. It wasn't until I got home and saw my official finish time was 54.10. That was a great time for me. It meant I averaged 10.50 minutes per mile.

Tim was happy with his time also. He finished in 35 minutes which gave him 7 minute miles.

After the race they ran out of water at the finish line...... It wasn't until I walked to the Summerfest grounds that water and fruit was found. There was great entertainment in Sumemrfest and everyone was able to celebrate their victories. Tim and I bought a beer and chilled and listened to the music and watched all the people.

3 comments:

leslie said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Saturday. I didn't know you just started running in March -- way to go, girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Great job Jackie!!!!!!

Barb

kristinleigh said...

Woo hoo!! So proud :)